Patient and Family Support Volunteers
There are many ways you can make a difference in the lives of others. We are sure that no matter which area you choose, you will enjoy being a part of the Empath Health family of volunteers. Patient and Family Support Volunteers can choose to visit patients in their homes, assisted living facilities, nursing homes or our inpatient Suncoast Hospice Care Centers.
The following training is required for all volunteer opportunities listed below. Additional training for special roles are listed under each opportunity.
Volunteer Orientation (4-Hours)
This training will provide you with an overview of the Empath Health integrated network of care. At the end of the training session you will choose the role that best fits your goals as a volunteer.
Patient and Family Support Training (12-Hours)
Prepares you for working with patients, families and PACE participants.
Suncoast Hospice Care Centers
Locations: Palm Harbor, Pinellas Park and St. Petersburg.
Suncoast Hospice Home Care Teams
Nursing Home and Assisted Living Facilities
Bereavement Volunteer Program
Training: Additional eight-hour Bereavement Support training is required after completion of Patient and Family Support Training.
Children’s Community Program's
- Aromatherapy – The use of essential oils to promote health of the body, mind and spirit. Aromatherapy training required.
- Reiki – The use of energy therapy techniques to promote relaxation, reduce suffering caused by anxiety/agitation and create a sense of peacefulness. Reiki training offered for Patient and Family Support and Bereavement Support volunteers.
- Licensed Massage Therapy – The use of hands-on techniques delivered by Florida licensed massage therapists to promote relaxation and reduce pain.
- Music – The use of music as a tool, gift or opportunity to bring peace and comfort. Musicians may perform for patients or share musical interests with patients via music CDs or iPods.
Pet Volunteer Visits
Eligible dogs, cats, rabbits or other pets must be evaluated and certified before placements. Breeds known for aggressive behavior are excluded, including Chow, Doberman Pinscer, Rottweiler, Dalmatian, Pit Bull and others.
- Empath Health volunteer orientation
- Empath Health patient and family support training
- Proof of pet’s health screening and vaccinations
- Certification by an approved evaluation organization (fees vary)
Register for volunteer orientation by filling out our information request form or going to our calendar to select a registration date and fill out a form. For more information, call volunteer services at (727) 523-3440.
Suncoast PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care)
- Participants’ Homes –Support participants in their homes. Provide companionship, caregiver respite, errand running or escorting to medical appointments (through PACE-provided transportation).
- Training: Additional two-hour PACE Orientation is required after Volunteer Orientation and Patient and Family Support Training
Veterans Serving Veterans
Perinatal Loss Program
Support mothers and families who are facing the loss their infant before, during, or shortly after birth. Advocate for the mother’s needs during their hospital stay, support families while they make important decisions, and provide a listening ear to families after the births and in their time of grief.
Training and requirements: Empath Health Volunteer Orientation, Patient and Family Support Training, 50 hours of patient/family volunteering, Perinatal Loss Doula classroom training, mentoring visits with experienced Perinatal Loss Doulas.
Scheduling: A commitment of a two to three-hour shift per week is requested. Bi-monthly and monthly opportunities are also available. Daytime, afternoon, evening and weekend times are available. The largest needs are evenings and weekends.
Training: Driver Orientation is required after completion of Patient and Family Support Training.