Palliative care, sometimes referred to as “comfort care,” is a specialized approach to the treatment of patients with a serious or life-threatening illness and can be combined alongside curative care. Our palliative care services are provided by a board-certified physician or advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) to our patients in various Tampa Bay hospitals, outpatient clinics and long-term care facilities – as well as in patients’ homes. Our focus is to relieve pain, symptoms and stress at any time during a serious illness and to support patients and families as they work through difficult medical decisions.
Who benefits from palliative care
Palliative care is most beneficial when started early during a serious illness. It’s never too soon to discuss palliative care. Those who may benefit include:
- A patient living at home or in a nursing home or assisted living facility who has a serious illness or health problem affecting quality of life or causing significant discomfort.
- Any patient or family member who has questions about treatment options or needs additional support.
How to receive palliative care services
A patient or family member can request a palliative care consult anytime or a patient’s physician can request a palliative care consultation at anytime.
- Treat pain and symptoms, such as nausea, fatigue, depression and anxiety
- Help maintain the most comfortable, independent and active lifestyle as possible
- Partner with community physicians to provide an extra layer of support for patients, residents and loved ones